Usability, Experience, and Evaluation Study/Notes/Charles
From Wikimedia Usability Initiative
Nimish's and Hannes's Notes
- Clerk, occasional posting on review sites
- used edit summary and appreciated it
- Found help page but not think to use the dialog (generational thing? same behavior yesterday)
- REF tag: highlighted the text he wanted to reference, then clicked 'ref' button, once he worked out how the link dialog did this, assumed same functionality
- READ tab intuitive, to "exit editing"
- Performance is SUPER slow with large pages
- Confused with 'bold' for section heading (also saw this confusion yesterday)
- Searched though the available icons, did not click Advanced immediatly
- ("advanced" miss naming?)
- when he clicked he found "headings" pretty fast and used it right
- understood intuitivly
- "makes it a lot easier"
- searches left nav
- "isn t here add a link or something?"
- searches for help at a help-page
- guide: "take alook at the top"
- --> finds toolbar, clicks on "help" finds external link
- wants to click the help examples !!!! (which would really make sense )
- finds link-icon accidently
Uses Preview Tab
- wanted to go "back to edit" while he was at the preview
- got the warning message --> so he knows that he is still in the editor
- Scrolled around through the transcluded templates (we should shrink those down)
- Expected down arrow to indicate 'this expands down'
- Caspsule doesn t attract him
- only found with guidance
- --> clicked on text: form popup
- now, he performed the edit task quickly
- While beeing at the preview and wants to go back to the editor to do more editing:
- "Publish this or else I'll lose it"
- accidently removed a "!", while adding header text and the first "|"
- "screwed it up" and gave up
Create a new Page
- first searched for a help page
- than tried to search for a page (he had in mind), which doesn t exist, than created it.
- "that's pretty easy"
- "the interaction ispretty straight forward"