Multimedia:Licensing tutorial/Main points
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Below are the tentative main points to be covered by the licensing tutorial. We have to focus on the main points and stay at a very high level.
The order isn't final, nor is the content. Suggestions are welcome.
- Default = can't do. By default, everything is copyrighted/protected/unfree and you can't upload it;
- no one can use it or do anything with it
- ex: random picture on the Internet
- free work = explicit choice / release by the creator
- own work = your choice
- not own work = explicit release / permission
- Derivative works
- of unfree works: stay unfree
- of free works: can stay free
- Public domain (for most obvious cases, e.g. creator died more than 100 years ago)
- Attribution: The name of the creator stays perpetually attached to their work (if they choose so)
- Freedoms associated with a free license
- freedom to use for any purpose
- freedom to modify and build on
- freedom to redistribute the work & modified work
- Free licenses = good
- facilitate reuse
- encourage dissemination
- example: WP content
- This is important. We take this stuff seriously, not like many other websites where it's often considered "optional" by users.