Multimedia:Licensing tutorial/Main points
Below are the tentative main points to be covered by the licensing tutorial. We have to focus on the main points and stay at a very high level.
The order isn't final, nor is the content. Suggestions are welcome.
- Default = can't do. By default, everything is copyrighted/protected/unfree and you can't upload it;
- no one can use it or do anything with it
- ex: random picture on the Internet
- free work = explicit choice / release by the creator
- own work = your choice
- not own work = explicit release / permission
- Derivative works
- of unfree works: stay unfree
- of free works: can stay free
- Public domain (for most obvious cases, e.g. creator died more than 100 years ago)
- Attribution: The name of the creator stays perpetually attached to their work (if they choose so)
- Freedoms associated with a free license
- freedom to use for any purpose
- freedom to modify and build on
- freedom to redistribute the work & modified work
- Free licenses = good
- facilitate reuse
- encourage dissemination
- example: WP content
- This is important. We take this stuff seriously, not like many other websites where it's often considered "optional" by users.