The first release—named Acai—has been deployed to Wikipedia and all Wikimedia sister projects as a user preference since July 1 2009. The following features have been targeted. You can try it out by clicking "Try Beta" link on the top of every page.
- Tab reorganization
- The new interface called Vector provides clear indication of the state of “read” and “edit” whether you are in an article or an discussion page.
- Edit toolbar improvements
- Action-grouped expandable toolbar hides infrequently used tool icons. Users can expand the toolbar based. Power users can expand the toolbar to access specialized tools. Special characters and help references (cheat sheet) are built into the toolbar for easy access. Special characters are displayed based on the configuration of each language site. Toolbar icons are redesigned by reusing Tango and Gnome icons.
- Improved search interface
- Search result page is often the entry point to articles. The visibility of relevant results are increased by removing the clutter.
- General aesthetic improvements
- Some aesthetic improvements have been applied for visual enhancements and redundant information has been removed.
- Opt-in/Opt-out switch and survey
- As the features above are deployed as one of the user preferences, Opt-in/Opt-out page allows logged in users to turn on and off multiple preferences for the usability initiative at the same time. Users are asked to participate in a quick short survey when they opt-out.
- This feature was enabled in beta form on 7 August 2009.