This page should contain an overview of our collected issues regarding accessibility.
- We add separate pages for each accessibility issue with a detailed description and possibly a possible patches. (Bugzilla is not the best place for doing this, because possibilities and participants are limited.).
- We sort or group the issues regularly and prioritize them according their impact.
- We then point the UX team or responsible developers to the issues in order of the chosen priority. (Then we will probably add the issues in Bugzilla to keep track of the fixes.)
Even though there are already a couple of accessibility bugs submitted to Bugzilla, they are often assigned a low importance and, thus, are never fixed.
Maybe we can have an Issue of the Week we focus on and that we discuss in the chat.
A page reporting an issue may contain the following:
- short description
- long description
- documentation of failure (screenshot, speech output…)
- links to resources from accessibility professionals, or guidelines (WCAG 2.0, WebAIM's cheklist, IITAA and their accessibility guidelines...)
- working example: an example of similar functionality elsewhere that is accessible
- Search button not accessible (background image without alt text), see H36: Using alt attributes on images used as submit buttons and G196: Using a text alternative on one item within a group of images that describes all items in the group. Seems to be partially fixed by Danny B in Bugzilla:24401. The name of the button could be improved by setting it to “search” instead of the generic and unhelpful “button” (replace
- Vector edit toolbar: “heading” listbox tabindex not as expected
- (bug 24298) Vector – tabs: drop-down menu is keyboard inaccessible or at least not accessible as expected, Maria: can’t open menu via keyboard at all
- Edit toolbar can't be used without pointing device. See details on talk page : Accessibility of the toolbar.
- Enhanced edit toolbar has menus accessible via keyboard but all buttons are inaccessible without pointing device.
- /WAI-ARIA landmarks
- : generate a
ddlist, but : are not used for definitions but for indentation of the text,
ddis misused here, better to use nested or intended paragraphs (bug 4521)
- all navigation headings are level 5 for no good reason (bug 457)
-  should not be part of any h (see screenshot for effect on list of links) (bug 1629)
- firstHeading labelfor editing field (editform)
- Expand button
[+]inserted by CategoryTree extension is inaccessible with keyboard.
Other / unsorted
- (bug 23595) Suggest window expands outside the screen, it should have fixed right position and expand to the left, reported by Danny B.
- (bug 24544) Completely inaccessible watchlist tab
- buttons for interaction, not links
Fixed problems we reported.
- Bug 23428: Headers of collapsible (sub)menus in sidebar not accesible via keyboard, reported by Danny B.
- However, sidebar still doesn't have expected focus order.
- “From Wikipedia …” is no heading - fixed in rev:69545, thanks to Danny B. for the patch.