- 1 Workflow
- 2 Smart upload
- 3 Copyright & permissions
- 4 Source of upload
Workflow and interface redesign
- most likely cases (own work,
- simple, not too verbose
- but we need to educate them a little => quick tutorial for first-time users
- bugzilla:16414: Upload form should prevent submission of filename with disallowed extension
- bugzilla:4647: Allow per-wiki customizable fields on upload form (e.g., for source)
- bugzilla:9133: Drag and drop uploading
- bugzilla:10976: Upladed file size calculations to compare with upload quota
- bugzilla:11416: Upload window bigger
- bugzilla:14926: Multiple customizable upload forms
- bugzilla:16181: Simplify the UI of the upload form
- bugzilla:16968: Special:Upload gives tedious warning about changing spaces to underscores in file names
- bugzilla:21288: After upload warning, "return and choose different name" serves empty page
- bugzilla:21338: New user right: "Allow large uploads"
- bugzilla:21645: Create a more specific warning when (re)uploading a file is protected
- bugzilla:13928: SpecialUpload warning results in long buttons
- bugzilla:22026: Description page and upload summary are blank
aka holding area, incomplete uploads, quarantine section, etc.
- bugzilla:4995: Ability to block users from uploading files only
- Listing this bug only as a reminder. This is probably not the way we want to handle this kind of users.
- bugzilla:2537: Ability to preview summary in "Upload file" page.
- Will probably be INVALID after the redesign of the upload process, since we don't want any (wiki)text on the upload page itself. Preview will be included in the next step of the upload where the user provides pieces of information about their file.
- bugzilla:16437: Ability to preview vector/re-rendered images in Special:Upload "warning" interstitial.
- bugzilla:20326: Option to strip some metadata on upload (GPS/geolocation privacy)
Allow several files to be uploaded at the same time (5 to 10)
- possibility to add the same description(s), license(s), category(ies), geocode to all the pictures
- but also to specify custom data for each
- bugzilla:488: Upload more than one file at a time
- bugzilla:16751: Support multiple file uploads via Special:Upload (backend/infrastructure)
- bugzilla:16752: Support HTML 5 multiple upload control
- bugzilla:16753: Support Flash-based upload widget to handle multiple file selection
- bugzilla:18132: Support multiple file uploads with upload-by-URL
- bugzilla:4636: Overwriting a file loses new summary/description text
- bugzilla:20971: Upload new versions of files with different file type
- bugzilla:15676: Duplicate image reuploading should be forbidden
- bugzilla:9246: When uploading a new version of a file watch this page is not automatic
- bugzilla:17194: Special uploadtext for the reupload form
- bugzilla:12490: Warning needed if dimensions of reupload differ
Extract relevant metadata from files on upload
- Priority: EXIF
- IPTC and XMP would be nice too, especially since XMP can host multilingual descriptions
- where we store these metadata (existing templates, structured data) will be determined later.
based on file name, keywords, description, metadata, etc.
- bugzilla:14373: Automatically convert uploaded files
- bugzilla:20252: Support for WAV and AIFF by converting files to FLAC automatically.
Copyright & permissions
Rethink it, make it more straightforward
worldwide PD calculator
Some wikis have fair-use or similar policies. See EDP.
Source of upload
Upload by URL
from 3rd-party websites (flickr, Internet Archive, etc.)
- Check if the source or the file provides useful metadata
- Check if the source or the file provides copyright information
- bugzilla:18202: Upload-by-URL should run in background, report feedback interactively to user
- bugzilla:18243: Upload via URL: More meaningful error messages when HTTP error encountered
- bugzilla:18112: Retain URL as metadata on upload-by-url
upload while editing a page
- coupled to Inline upload and Crosswiki integration
- bugzilla:1552: Upload to Commons from any Wikimedia website
bugzilla:18885: Red links for media files do not support shared repositoriesrev:60593
- bugzilla:17957 Infrastructure for image/video file uploads by FTP